Week 26, 2014: Oh no, not again...

What happened to weeks 22 through 25, you ask, as I'm sure you all have been paying close attention? ;). Well, somehow I was not inspired to write. I did some running, I did some cycling... you know, business as usual. Oh yeah, I also did another 50k on 8th of June and I still hope to write a race report one day; we'll see. However, last week of June was a bit more eventful and deserves a short note. And from now on I'll try to go back to regular weekly write ups.

On Thursday I did my usual run on Black Mountain. I was going at it hard, hoping to improve my personal best. At some point I felt sharp pain in my ankle... no, it wasn't a come back of my injury; I was bitten by something. However I was a man on a mission so I hardly broke stride and continued up the hill (even though it hurt like hell) assuming that it was probably just a bee sting. As luck would have it in the end I missed my personal best by 10 seconds. Oh well.

Things got interesting the following day, as my foot got swollen pretty badly. I even started wondering whether it could have been a snake bite, give that it was an ankle, just above my shoes.

That same day we had an offsite at work. Kickball. I was pretty skeptical about it at first but very quickly I got into it and was having fun. Until. I was "batting" and gave the ball a pretty good kick, however I could feel something funny happening with my leg. Not thinking twice I started running towards the first base but there certainly was something funny about my leg. I stopped briefly but then urged by shouts from others continued towards the second base... and snap. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, this is how you pull your quad.

I limp back to work and I have no illusions: I can forget about running for a while. The timing could not be worse. The 4 day long 4th of July weekend is coming and I was so looking forward to that and planning to go somewhere (Lassen Volcanic National Park being high on the list of options) and do tons of crazy running :D. With less than a week to go my chances of recovery are minimal and it looks like I'll have to call off those plans. And that really, really sucks...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Budapest, marathon

My goals for... the lifetime.

Marathon, Paris, 2012