Week 16, 2013: Overtraining?

Finally time for a, more than one week late, report. I was hoping to run a lot and run hard this week; the following one my family was coming over to visit, so I knew it'd be difficult to stick to schedule, so at least this week I wanted to make up for it. It didn't happen. Throughout the week I felt extremely tired. On Tuesday I didn't feel very strong but decided to stick to my fast run anyway -- it was horrid and I ended up with a terrible time. Then easy run on Wednesday and I was planning another one for Thursday but I just didn't have it in me so I skipped it and instead did another one on Friday.

By Saturday I didn't have much time left to save the weekly mileage. My original plan was to do the Skyline to the Sea Trail, which is almost 50K long and is supposed to take 3 days. Needless to say I wanted to run it in one go. However, logistical problems thwarted my plans. I was hoping to drive to the trailhead, from there take a bus to the end and then run back towards my car. Or something similar. What I did not realize is that it's kinda in the middle of nowhere so there are no buses anywhere nearby. Well, I guess one day I'll have to run in back and forth ;).

Instead I drove 1h to Big Basin Redwoods State Park. The plan was to do 30+K; instead I did 21K and it was a drag. I didn't even have energy to take out my camera and snap some photos. And when I reached back my car I was totally spent.

All in all, it was a tough week, even though I only did 65km. I suspect over-training. Funny, some time ago my only limiting factor in how much I ran was the amount of time I could find to do it. Lately, time is not so much of an issue, however I have to be careful to tread the line of over-training and injury. Signs of getting old? Perhaps...

P.S. I'm aware that my weekly snippets are busted. DotCloud decided to discontinue their free service so I'm in trouble when it comes to hosting. Eventually I'll want to move it to OpenShift, but it may take a while before I have everything set-up there :/.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Budapest, marathon

My goals for... the lifetime.

Marathon, Paris, 2012