Berlin marathon: ooops, I did it again

Before

Berlin marathon. Famous. Fast. Big hopes.

I know that before every single marathon I moan about how the week leading to it was not perfect and how everything in the world was conspiring against me. I won't do it this time, but take my word for it -- this time, for a change, the moaning would be well justified. This was probably one of the most stressful weeks ever. And, funny as it may sound, I could feel it in my legs. I was super tense. And I did not manage to go for a massage, or at least to a sauna, as planned. Oh well, again with the excuses.

What was different about this marathon is that we went with a 5-strong group of people and still met up with few more in Berlin. Until now, except for Paris that I did with Michal, I was always flying solo (well, that is, of course, not counting my most devoted & beloved supporter :). That was a nice change and lots of fun, I have to say.

The weather was almost perfect. Not too windy, not too hot, not too cold either. Pretty much a book definition of perfect running weather (on the day itself it turned out to be a tad too hot for my taste, but still no reasons to complain). We did a very gentle warm-up run on Saturday and then went to the Expo and a bit around the city. By the end of the day our legs were tired, but I suspect it had more to do with the pre-marathon hyper-sensitivity than with the level of activity we sustained on that day.

During

As for the race itself I decided to try to run at around 4:30min/km, which would give me a final time of 3:10. Yes, that's fast for me and I paid the price for this pace. But let's not get ahead too much.

At the beginning I managed to very accurately stick to this pace. I did the first 5K in 0:22:21 (4:28min/km, projected finish: 3:08:37) and 10K in 0:44:49 (4:29min/km, 3:09:06). I was quite surprised when at that point in the race I was overtaken by the 3:15:00 pacer. Either the guy's math skills were not too great, or he was not trying to run it flatly. Anyway, I decided to just run my race and shook him off shortly afterwards.

I was happy with my pace but of course I was aware that this did not mean a thing. The question was when I'd collapse. I was hoping I could keep up this pace until 30K or maybe 32K, which would leave me with the last 10K where I could loose approx. 5 minutes and still end up with a PB. Somehow, at that point this still sounded reasonable. My 15K split (4:30min/km, 3:09:41) and 20K one (4:31min/km, 3:10:16) and even 25K (4:32min/km, 3:11:19) were still looking good, but that's pretty much were I broke and started slowing down. Fast. And clearly it was far too early for that.

It didn't take long for me to realize that I can forget about a PB. And as soon as that happened I lost it; I lost hope of making a PB and with that I lost the purpose for the race. I know it's silly, I should have at least fought for my bronze goal (3:20), which was still well within reach, but I just didn't have it in me anymore. From that moment on, it was purely about survival; I just wanted to cross this bloody finish line. Finally I did, in 3:21:33.

After

I did a little thinking after this race and my conclusion is this: either I'm completely hopeless and running around 3:20 is simply the best I can do. Or I am doing something seriously wrong with my training. And the main candidate for that is lack of specificity. To run sub-3:15, I guess one really needs to focus on marathons and do a training specific for that race. There simply isn't enough room for spontaneity (pretty much what powers my trainings most of the time) and mixing up with ultras (something that I started lately).

That leaves me with a simple choice: either completely focus on marathons or for now forget about improving my marathon PB. Since the coming year I will be in California and I absolutely want to do some trail and ultramarathon running there, that means that for now I'll be putting my marathons on hold. That does not mean that I will not run one ocassionaly, but if I do, it'll be more as part of a training for ultras, or just for fun and not to improve my long standing PB. There. I said it. I guess my Boston qualifier goal will have to wait for better times...

Gladly, my friends did much better than I did. Marcin finished his first marathon, always a big thing. Thyra run in 3:50 smashing her previous PB by half an hour and absolutely meeting her goals. And Mikolaj run in 3:20 setting an amazing new PB and kicking my ass in the process :). Amazing work, guys, I'm proud of you; congratulations!

In the post-race gloom ;), I'm looking at races and slowly coming up with a schedule for 2013, so expect a post about that soonish.

P.S. I'll update this post with photos once those become available. I may also put my usual race chart, but I do have some problems with the data so it may not happen. I forgot to mention that I bought myself a new Polar watch, but as it turned out its performance was even more disappointing than mine...

Comments

Thyra said…
Congrats anyway on completing another marathon in what I believe to be an excellent time. I know you hoped for more but frankly, under the current hectic circumstances, I think it's amazing you managed to get around the 42.2k at all! :) I certainly don't see how you can use 'hopeless' and '3:20' in the same sentence. Enjoy the Californian trails!!! We'll gladly come visit some time to explore them with you.

Popular posts from this blog

Budapest, marathon

My goals for... the lifetime.

Arc of Attrition 2020