Week 14, 2012

Last week before the marathon...

The last week was lousy. But I forgot to mention that even with it being lousy, I managed to reach my new monthly record, with 344km covered in March.

This week I started off with easy 14K on Tuesday. Then on Wednesday I did some long intervals. My plan was to repeat a training that I did 3 weeks earlier, i.e. 4x2K. The funny thing is that after having rested last week now I felt as if I was starting a new running season -- i.e. my legs were hurting after the easy (!) training from Tuesday and I didn't feel capable of great accomplishments. To make matters worse still, I wrongly calibrated my watch so that I had no idea how fast I was running. Net result: not very fast as I averaged 4:11 over the intervals (compared to 4:01 three weeks earlier). Not a good sign. Not at all...

I took Thursday off, did easy 11K on Friday. Normally at this point, one week before the marathon, I would race 10K. It was Easter so not a chance to find a race. I first thought of just running 10K with all I had, but given earlier developments of this week, in the end I decided it wasn't such a great idea. Instead I planned to do 10K at a pace somewhat faster than a marathon pace but without giving it all I had. I ended up averaging 4:20 per kilometer, with an average heart rate of 166 -- quite a bit below what I'd do in a race at this distance, so I decided maybe still there's some hope.

Sunday off and next week I'm planning to mostly rest. Big day is coming.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Budapest, marathon

My goals for... the lifetime.

Week 19 & 20, 2012